Myrtia village belongs to the municipality of Archanes Asteroussia and located 15 km from Heraklion. It is the paternal village of Nikos Kazantzakis and is known for the museum dedicated to the great writer.
Agricultural is the main activity of villagers, mainly viticulture and olive growing. In fact the village is famous for its wine production.
Historically, the existence of the village dates back in centuries. Here settled the foreign soldiers of Nikiforos Fokas after the liberation of Crete by the Saracens in 961,obtaining the village the name Varvari. From the Venetian period until the Turkish census of 1671 the village is mentioned with the names Varvaro, Varvari, Varvarus, Varvaru.