About 7 kilometers from Heraklion, just after the archaeological site of Knossos, there is the settlement of Agia Irini, which was added to the municipality of Heraklion in 1924 and has about 150 inhabitants.
It is a verdant place with tall pine trees and plane trees, crossed by a river that flows all year round. The imposing stoned Kamara, which is located in the settlement of Spilia, is a water transfer bridge. It was built around 1831 during the Egyptian occupation of the island.
The place took its name from the little church of St. Irini located on the eastern hill. The area is specially designed to offer pleasant moments next to nature.