The Metropolitan church of St. Titus is dedicated to the Apostle Titus, the first Bishop of Crete, who was a student of Apostle Paul.
The first church dedicated to Saint Titus was located in the area of Gortyna where the metropolitan church was housed until 828 where it was liberated by the Arabs and moved to Heraklion.
At the beginning of the 13th century, when the Roman archbishop settled in Crete, some modifications were made to the temple, such as the construction of a bell tower.
In 1828, the temple was rebuilt as an Ottoman Mosque after its complete demolition due to an earthquake, whereas in 1920, after the last Muslims had left, the minaret that existed there, was demolished.
In 1925, a series of changes followed causing its transformation into the form that we see today.