Thrapsano village is located 30 kilometers southeast of Heraklion, at an altitude of 340 meters, and is famous for its traditional pottery art.
The villagers, who amounted to 1261 inhabitants due to the census of 2011, have as main occupation the pottery, a profession that considered inherited from their parents, also olive oil production, viticulture and farming. The villagers are considered successors of potters of the Minoan period, as the connection of the village with pottery goes back in centuries. From the pottery art seems to come also the name of the village from the word Trapsala meaning the many broken pottery pieces which found around the kilns of pottery laboratories.
In Venetian era, Thrapsano was a fief of the famous family of Kornaros where they had built a mansion and from which emanated and the Cretan poet Vitsentzos Kornaros who wrote the famous romance "Erotokritos".
Major attractions of the village is the primary school which was founded in 1870 and is one of the oldest of Heraklion county, the church of Panagia Pigadiotissa with the miraculous well, and Livada lake which was formed by the continuous mining for pottery clay .