Kales fortress is located in town of Ierapetra, on the southern coast of Crete, and was built by the Venetians to protect the harbor and the city.
The fortress dates back to the early years of Venetian rule in 13th-15th century and surrounded by a rectangular fortification. The name comes from a possible alteration of the Turkish word "Koules", meaning tower.
The fortress is mentioned that was destroyed in 1508 by an earthquake without to be totally repaired. Later during the Ottoman period the castle fortress by the Turks and used for the city's defense.
Today Kales fortress can be visited and it is used for various cultural events.