Theotokopoulos Park is the most central and one of the few green parks in the heart of the Heraklion. It takes its name of the great Cretan painter of the Spanish Renaissance, El Greco, and his marble bust decorates the park.
Previously, during the Venetian occupation, in this place there was the Palazzo del capitano generale, the palace of Venetian Vice-Admiral. Later, the palace was converted into a court of the Turkish authorities, and then housed the first Town Hall of the Cretan State. The building was finally demolished in 1943.
Over the past decade, the park has been redisigned, has been planted and a playground built in it.